On this article we will learn how to install Sublime Text 4 on Rocky Linux 8 workstation.
The Sublime Text Editor is one of the famoust text editor that has been widely used by various circle. A lightweight, cross-platform source code and text editor that easy of use and has a friendly working interface. The Sublime text editor supports many programming languages, snippets, APIs, various plugins, and other markup languages like various plugins, Java, C#, ASP, Html, etc. To extend its spesific functionality, we can install we an appropriate plugins. Sublime are available in Windows, Linux, and Mac OS. On this tutorial we will show you how to install Sublime Text 4 on Rocky Linux Workstation.
Sublime Text 4 New Features
Sublime Text 4 is the most recent version of Sublime Text which brings new features. Here are Sublime Text 4 new features :
- Tab Multi-Select. File tabs have been enhanced to make split views effortless, with support throughout the interface and built-in commands.
- Apple Silicon and Linux ARM64. Sublime Text for Mac now includes native support for Apple Silicon processors. Linux ARM64 builds are also available for devices like the Raspberry Pi.
- Refreshed UI. The Default and Adaptive themes have been refreshed with new tab styles and inactive pane dimming. Themes and Color Schemes support auto dark-mode switching. The Adaptive theme on Windows and Linux now features custom title bars.
- Context-Aware Auto Complete. The auto complete engine has been rewritten to provide smart completions based on existing code in a project. Suggestions are also augmented with info about their kind, and provide links to definitions.
- Superpowered Syntax Definitions. The syntax highlighting engine has been significantly improved, with new features like handling non-deterministic grammars, multi-line constructs, lazy embeds and syntax inheritance.
- GPU Rendering. Sublime Text can now utilize your GPU on Linux, Mac and Windows when rendering the interface.
- Updated Python API. The Sublime Text API has been updated to Python 3.8, while keeping backwards compatibility with packages built for Sublime Text 3.
Sublime Text 4 Installation On Rocky Linux 8
The Sublime Text 4 instalation processes are consist of several steps, namely :
- Import Sublime Text 4 GPG key
- Install Sublime Text 4 on Rocky Linux 8
- Launch Sublime Text 4 on Rocky Linux 8
The first step in installing Sublime Text 4 is to import Sublime Text 4 GPG Key and adding the stable channel repository to Rocky Linux 8 Repository. This step can be done by typing command line :
sudo rpm -v --import https://download.sublimetext.com/sublimehq-rpm-pub.gpg sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo
[ramansah@otodiginet ~]$ sudo rpm -v --import https://download.sublimetext.com/sublimehq-rpm-pub.gpg [sudo] password for ramansah: [ramansah@otodiginet ~]$ sudo dnf config-manager --add-repo https://download.sublimetext.com/rpm/stable/x86_64/sublime-text.repo Adding repo from: https://download.sublimetext.com/rpm/stable/x86_64/sublime-text.repo
After adding Sublime Text 4 GPG key and repository to the system, then we will update our Rokcy Linux 8 system. By updating our system, it will refresh the local list of available packages software to the newer stable version. To update Rocky Linux 8 system repositories, we will use the command line:
sudo dnf update
[ramansah@otodiginet ~]$ sudo dnf update Rocky Linux 8 - AppStream 1.6 kB/s | 4.8 kB 00:02 Rocky Linux 8 - BaseOS 1.6 kB/s | 4.3 kB 00:02 Rocky Linux 8 - Extras 1.1 kB/s | 3.5 kB 00:03 Docker CE Stable - x86_64 11 kB/s | 3.5 kB 00:00 MongoDB Repository 4.1 kB/s | 2.5 kB 00:00 Sublime Text - x86_64 - Stable 646 B/s | 2.1 kB 00:03 Dependencies resolved. =========================================================================================================== Package Architecture Version Repository Size =========================================================================================================== Upgrading: firefox x86_64 91.2.0-4.el8_4 appstream 107 M mongodb-database-tools x86_64 100.5.1-1 mongodb-org-5.0 47 M tzdata noarch 2021c-1.el8 baseos 472 k tzdata-java noarch 2021c-1.el8 appstream 190 k Transaction Summary =========================================================================================================== Upgrade 4 Packages Total download size: 155 M Is this ok [y/N]: y
After package update is done, then we will install Sublime Text 4, by typing command line :
sudo dnf install sublime-text
[ramansah@otodiginet ~]$ sudo dnf install sublime-text Last metadata expiration check: 0:18:52 ago on Mon 18 Oct 2021 03:29:48 PM WIB. Dependencies resolved. ================================================================================================================================= Package Architecture Version Repository Size ================================================================================================================================= Installing: sublime-text x86_64 4113-1 sublime-text 20 M Transaction Summary ================================================================================================================================= Install 1 Package Total download size: 20 M Installed size: 47 M Is this ok [y/N]: y Downloading Packages: sublime-text-4113-1.x86_64.rpm 386 kB/s | 20 MB 00:52 --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Total 386 kB/s | 20 MB 00:52 Running transaction check Transaction check succeeded. Running transaction test Transaction test succeeded. Running transaction Preparing : 1/1 Installing : sublime-text-4113-1.x86_64 1/1 Running scriptlet: sublime-text-4113-1.x86_64 1/1 Verifying : sublime-text-4113-1.x86_64 1/1 Installed products updated. Installed: sublime-text-4113-1.x86_64 Complete!
After all are completed done, then we will verifty its version by typing command line :
[ramansah@otodiginet ~]$ subl -version Sublime Text Build 4113
The Sublime Text installation is done, the application can be call by using a command line interface or from the Desktop environment applications launch section.
- Launching Sublime Text editor by using command line interface is done by calling
- Launching Sublime Text editor can be called by Desktop environment applications launch section.
We have shown how to install Sublime Text 4 on Rocku Linux desktop environment successfully.